You made an offer and it was accepted. Your next step is to have the home inspected within the negotiated time frame. Magee Group Professionals recommend you make your offer contingent upon a home inspection.
This contingency allows you to ask the sellers to repair any defects to the home, request a repair credit or in some cases, walk away if challenges arise. Your Magee Group agent can help you decide on the best course of action for you once the inspection report is completed.
How to Choose an Inspector
Your Magee Group professional has a short list of home inspectors they’ve worked with in the past to recommend to you. According to HGTV you may want to consider the following five areas when choosing the right home inspector for you:
1. Qualifications– Find out what’s included in your inspection and if the age or location of your home may warrant specific certifications or specialties.
2. Sample Reports– Ask for a sample inspection report so you can review how thoroughly they will be inspecting your dream home. In most cases, the more detailed the report, the better.
3. References– Do your homework. Ask for phone numbers and names of past clients who you can call to discuss their experiences.
4. Memberships– Not all inspectors belong to a national or state association of home inspectors, and membership in one of these groups should not be the only way to evaluate your choice. Membership in one of these organizations does, however, often mean continued training and education are required. In the Commonwealth of Virginia a license is now required for home inspectors, so check them out on the VADPOR site.
5. Errors and Omission Insurance– Find out what the liability of the inspector or inspection company is once the inspection is over. The inspector is only human, after all, and it is possible they might miss something they should see.
Make sure you tag along during the inspection, so the inspector can point out anything that should be addressed or fixed.
Remember to bring a notebook, measuring tape, and camera to remember key points of the home.
Don’t be surprised to see your inspector climbing on the roof or crawling around in the attic and on the floors. The job of the inspector is to protect your investment and find any issues with the home, including but not limited to: the roof, plumbing, electrical components, appliances, heating and air conditioning systems, ventilation, windows, fireplace and chimney, foundation, and so much more.
Some say, ‘ignorance is bliss,’ but not when investing your hard-earned money into a home of your own. Work with a Magee Group agent you can trust to give you the most information possible, so you can make the most educated decision about your purchase.
Author:Susan Magee Phone: 804-334-5087 Dated: October 12th 2019 Views: 447 About Susan: As a mother, wife and businesswoman, my determined spirit has taken me through personal and professi...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
By listening to her clients closely, Susan is able to quickly identify what they want to achieve and guide them through the process every step of the way to ensure they get optimum results. Her dedication to your needs and her integrity, expertise and reputation have made her a respected and sought-after agent. Susan's work ethic, industry knowledge and experience are unmatched and she takes a determined approach to get great results for her clients. Call Susan and her team today, you'll be glad you did.
When you’re getting ready to list your home, it’s of the utmost im
"Susan is an expert in her field! Being first-time homebuyers, the process was clearly overwhelming, but Susan's knowledge and expertise guided us through smoothly. She quickly learned what we were looking for in our first home, and, as the picture in our heads changed, she was very patient with us. Her phone was always ready to take a call, and with our crazy schedules, she still was available to show homes at the oddest hours (like when the sun was already down).
Susan came highly recommended, and we are confident in recommending her to others. Should the time come to sell our home and buy another, she is only choice for us. "